Thursday, April 12, 2007

Linux Geek Wannabe?

Been playing around with a new OS... Linux Ibuntu. I played with open disks of 2 versions earlier and decided to go all out with this one and go for a full install on my hard drive...

I'm using it right now. It installed easily enough.. No geeky stuff really just a few clicks and it was installed right along side windows... Then came some challenges. I could not play any mp3 files or watch any dvd's. After several hours of searching geeky forums I finally found the codecs and stuff to be able to do play these.. They work great now... But it wasn't a walk in the park...

Other issues: Minimizing... If I minimize this firefox window right now it "disappears" into the bottom left side of my screen... Never to be found again... I have played and played with that... I assume it is still running but can't be maximized again...Frustrating...

I also have to contend with a 800 x 600 resolution... The solutions I found for that seem quite geeky... I don't know what video card I have and will have to spend some more time working on that if I want this deal to be a success...

Still... For free... I'm impressed... If I were to build a new box and didn't want to shell out the 150 plus bucks to get windows installed this would certainly be an option I would consider... It is fun playing with it to try and make it work. And there are tons of programs to install with just a few clicks... Even if it takes several attempts to get it running... Re-install...Re install... Get's frustrating...But I guess I'm deterimined ya know?

Linux Geek Wannabe?

0 comments: