Sunday, January 27, 2008

Online Recovery?

1 Corinthians 11:14 Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?

Been a bit of controversy stirring over the Tulsa recovery website I put up using the ning tools. There are a lot of these networking sites out there with the popularity of myspace and facebook.
It make since that it would transcend into the recovery community.
Many people in recovery are a part of the myspace community too... Lots of AA and NA groups that are very popular. Some folks in recovery depend on the internet to get recovery as they may be confined to home or need assistance to get to meetings.

Tradition 11: Our public relations policy is based on attraction rather than promotion; we need always maintain personal anonymity at the level of press, radio and films.

Does this mean internet? Press, radio, films and internet. And bumper stickers and jewlery and lighters. Rehab is for quitters... I like that shirt...Perhaps it would look better with the NA logo. The NA logo looks good on several Tattoos I have seen. I like the NA logo better than the AA. It just looks cooler to a digital artist like myself...

Tradition 10: Alcoholics Anonymous has no opinion on outside issues; hence the A.A. name ought never be drawn into public controversy.

I LOVE controversy... I love to talk about our president and stuff... Online, in meetings, at the job.. Wherever... It's just good clean fun. I hear a lot about mental illness and stuff in meetings..And of course...Drugs...Does it create controversy?Sure... Everybody has an opinion.

So what is the post all about? I started to take down the recovery website. But after thinking (and praying) about it I decided to leave it up for now... I made a few changes to make it seem a bit more annonomous. But I won't be swayed.. The internet is simply a tool for communication. It can be used for good or evil... Depends on the motives...

I plan on continuing to work and promote the site to see what happens over the next few months or so... If it doesn't grow I'll consider letting it go. But I believe it will do recovery better as a "whole" than cause unwanted grief to members of recovery groups or programs...

I plan on attending the group conscience for the folks opposing this view... Listen to opinions and suggestions... But won't be strong armed into taking the site down... I haven't heard that that is the intention...But have heard that I needed to be there to "defend" myself... Hmmmm?

It's all groovy ya dig?

0 comments: